Sunday, January 1, 2012

RESOLUTION

Northern Minnesota winters can appear bleak and harsh but the stark reality of cold days and little sunlight also brings the opportunity for its residence to whine, complain and whimper about the intolerable weather or to rise above the difficulties such weather presents and grow thought resolution of mind and spirit.

I declare today that I choose the way of resolution. I do not intend to simplify my resolution to a list of several things I shall do this winter, for I know all to well of my past failures, so I am wisely choosing a pathway of intent that is filled with joy and thankfulness. Who would every pass up the opportunity of live a life of joy and thankfulness? It sounds so warm and bright, much different than the dark, cold season that I share my coexistence.

But in reality such resolution, is very difficult. I have been taught that one can greet all of life with an attitude of joy and thankfulness, but it requires something of us that we find nearly impossible to do. It is self denial. If I am not the center of life, I am freed to accept all that comes my way with joy and thankfulness. "Joy to the world the Lord has come!"

No comments: