Friday, April 17, 2009

WE'RE BORN TO BE MILD

I've always been some what of a chicken. A chicken in a good way. I am wary to do any thing just for the sake of doing it. One of the first thoughts that comes to my head is.....what is the worst thing that could happen? Often that has stopped me in my tracks from doing or trying some thing that has a high risk associated with it. I have done some exciting activities in my life such as technical rock climbing, mountain climbing, whitewater canoeing and whitewater kayaking, but I have thought about the risk and deemed it reasonable. I continue to do some activities that are perceived to be dangerous like rock climbing, going on zip lines and high ropes courses and of course my newest adventure motorcycling.

I believe that with knowledge and skill one can do many high risk activities safely. Since I don't need an adrenaline rush, I prefer to do things sanely and safely. My biker brother Pretzel is of the same mind. He has had his share of close calls and brushes with disaster, but they have helped shape him into a more careful, safety conscious person.

When we talk about being born to be mild, we are talking about one of our core values. That value is safety. Nobody takes safety more seriously than a Nobody. We talk about how to be a safe biker and we look for ways to improve our skills. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches that 90 % of motorcycle safety is mental, meaning how we survey our surroundings and how we respond to them. Only 10 % of motorcycle safety in related to skills. Another way to look at it is you never want to put yourself in a situation that pushes the limits of your skills, unless you are looking for an adrenalin rush!

If you ever happen to ride with the Nobodies you will discover that we value giving each other feedback on how we are riding and are always looking for ways to make sure our rides are safe.
Now if you choose to not wear a helmet and other protective gear, that is your choice. But if you choose to ride in a way that endangers other Nobodies or irritates other motorists, we will let you know. I like the song "Born to be wild" but I like to live on the mild side!

No comments: