Monday, June 14, 2010

IN SEARCH OF JAWA THE PUTTZ

On Sunday June 13 I decided to spend the day IN SEARCH OF JAWA THE PUTTZ. I headed up Highway 61 towards the Canadian Border. Jawa is the "hermit-like" Nobody who lives in the extreme northern part of Minnesota. He is rather shy, furry, comical and at time can be very dangerous, especially when hungry.

This photo of Jawa was taken by a motion activated trail camera. It was taken in late spring of this year. Jawa has his red summer coat already.
Looking for Jawa is like searching for the elusive Big Foot. Where does one start?


Unfortunately Jawa took the radio tracking collar off his neck some time this winter, so flying over the north wood in the vicinity of Ely was not productive.

Motorcycling on out of the way roads started giving me hope, as I was finding signs of a Puttz; candy bar wrappers, bits of bagels, coffee grounds, etc.




On Highway 1, I noticed movement in the woods.




It was a red fox.





Then I spotted a bear back in the brush. That was very encouraging, as Jawa often travels with North American Black Bear.






In a bush 20 feet past the bear I heard a rustling and noticed a red coat.







Upon closer investigation, it appeared to be a Puttz. I was not sure if it was Jawa.







When I opened a bag of potato chips, the Puttz came out with a very friendly grin on his face. It was Jawa!










He quickly ate the bag of chips and downed a 12 pack of cream soda. Puttz's are known for abrupt naps after gorging themselves.


After the nap, Jawa did his famous Puttz pose. He was begging for food!







"Hey Jawa, do you want to go with me to the Vanilla Bean and have a meal?" "It will be my treat!"





"Oh, oh, oh, oh, ya sure you betchya!"




Taking a Puttz out for a meal is expensive, but I love spending time with Jawa.