Tuesday, June 16, 2009

RIDE TO LEAVE, LEAVE TO RIDE

Motorcycling is practical! Yes it is practical even in Northern Minnesota. In our climate, riding does require some specialized clothing to allow one to have a fairly long riding season. It is possible to ride from early April all the way into late November. Granted if your commute to work is more that 10 - 15 miles there will be times one will suffer a little. But really, isn't living near Lake Superior an exercise in suffering and disappointment?

If I used my cycle strictly for recreational purposes, I would only ride occasionally. My bike would gather dust and my riding skills would be minimal and rusty. I ride every day. I ride to work. I ride to meetings. I ride on errands. I ride whenever a car is not required. It helps that my wife and I only own one car. This has forced me into being an every day rider, but I think I was genetically predisposed to be one in the first place.

When I get up in the morning, I need my motorcycle to get places. I ride to get some where important. My riding is necessary, so I ride to leave.

I also am excited about riding. If it is nice weather, I look forward to the warm sun and pleasant conditions. If is windy, rainy or stormy, I look forward to the adventure and the challenge, so
I leave to ride.

I like being one of the few bikers out and about, when the weather is lousy. Those are the days I show I am a real Nobody. "I'm from Duluth and I'm stupid!"

No comments: