Friday, June 19, 2009

MOTORCYCLES AND PETS

I have been an admirer of motorcyclists who have their pets ride with them. A while back I requested people to send me pictures of their motorcycle riding pets. Thanks for the response and please continue to send me pictures, as I would love to do a more extensive story.
Kickstand and Socks take a ride

I personally have just starting training my son's cat Socks to ride with me. It has been a slow, arduous and sometimes painful experience for me. Socks does a fair amount of clawing when scared. Just recently, I discovered a great book about training pets to ride. BIKER BUDDIES by Latrell Latour gives very specific and graduated steps to help train ones pet to become a great riding partner. The training method involves 120 steps. I am on step 12 with Socks. I think in about three years Socks will be riding around the neighborhood with me. The book is incredible and covers information regarding a wide range of pets from mice, snakes, cats, dogs all the way up to cows and horses!












Thanks for these great photos and the interesting stories. Montana Jack, your ability to haul sheep on a dirt bike is incredible. The photo above shows Jack with Luther a sheep that has traveled to 14 states with Jack. The saddlebag twins were naturals. As puppies they loved climbing all over Libby's motorcycle and loved laying in shopping bags. It was an easy transition to get them riding. It seems like many dogs love sidecars. Clarence has been riding since he was 10 weeks old and has logged over 60,000 miles.
Tess is a Sunday afternoon rider. She loves sunny country road rides.
Please keep the photos and stories coming. Thanks Kickstand

No comments: