Sunday, July 11, 2010

PETER MITCHELL DAYS MOTOR CYCLE SHOW

I cleaned up Dirty Deeds Yamaha 250 and headed out on a 90 mile ride to Jawa's cabin just off Minnesota Highway 1. I was heading up north for the second annual Peter Mitchell Days Classic and Current Motorcycle Show. http://babbittcs.blogspot.com/ Peter Mitchell Days is a celebration of the resurgence of iron ore mining on the iron range, when it was deemed profitable to mine a lower grade ore. http://www.silverbay.com/history.htm Jawa and I planed on entering our bikes in the show again. Last year I rode my cx 650 up, but this year I felt Dirty Deeds bike had a better chance of getting more votes.







I met up with Jawa at our favorite restaurant in Two Harbors; The Vanilla Bean.










Jawa is a simple sort of fellow. He is very proud of his waterproof motorcycle glove. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his gloves were better suited for handling frozen fish at a cannery. We both encountered some rain on our rides to Two Harbors.





Jawa lives on the Wander Road. Hmm, maybe he can help me write up the Nobodies Suggested Guidelines For Motorcycle Wandering.





The next morning, Saturday July 26th we celebrated Jawa's birthday with a bunch of birthday cakes!




Some time Jawa acts quite normal but........






then the impulse control goes out the window and he is his predictable self.




Jawa cleaned up his Honda Nighthawk before we headed over to Babbitt, which was about 20 miles away.





There were 42 cycle entered this year. So the show almost doubled in size.















This 1942 Harley was voted the top bike by the motorcycle owners. It was made for World War II use. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_WLA




A fellow in Babbitt owes it. He did the restoration. It is a very interesting bike.



















The competition is way too stiff for Jawa and me to ever win a trophy.



I really like this late 70's Honda Goldwing. It is 1000 cc, which is a size bike that is appealing to me. Maybe some day I will have a bike like that for my yearly Nobody Tours.

















This late 70' cx 500 was for sale. It would be a nice size for Dirty Deeds. Maybe I should have bought it. I'm not much for Vetter Fairings. That would be the first thing I would take off.....but maybe Deeds would like it.
















Are you familiar with a Riley? It is an automatic. http://www.ridleymotorcycles.com/




Jawa rode the Zipper 12 times in a row. The attendant didn't appreciate him wearing his motorcycle helmet.




Jawa and I could have asked the organizer Jon Smith how many votes we got, but we felt it would just depress us.


We took the Blueberry Road, a gravel road that is bumpy, both ways, because we don't deserve to ride on nice smooth pavement.





This is the Stony River.





Jawa on Highway 1




It was a fun weekend. Join us next year. You can contact Jon Smith the organizer at


No comments: