Thursday, March 11, 2010

MOTORCYCLING AND MARRIAGE

When discussing motorcycling and marriage, love is not usually the first word that comes to mind. Motorcycles have historically caused friction in martial relationships. Take for example the book BACKFIRED MARRIAGE where a happily married couple experience some rough relationship roads, because the husband gets interested in collecting and riding British bikes.

The Nobody Motorcycle Museum recently installed an exhibit which features a love seat in front of several motorcycles. Along with the display, the curator Flash has included a video, art exhibit and radio play that addresses issues related to marriage and motorcycling.


Display Titled LOVE AND BIKES


Flash has done an excellent job exploring the complex interplay between couples and their motorcycles. I happen to be married to a woman who enjoys riding motorcycles too. One would think that such a common interest would eliminate any tensions or troubles related to bikes. Well on the contrary, it introduced new issues into a 29 year marriage. Initially I started riding and my wife reluctantly was a passenger on occasion. She then started instructing me on how to ride; including information on increasing my speed, rolling through corners with more speed, jumping quicker a stop lights and not being such a wimp about trying a wheelie. Since my wife started riding, I am talking to her about paying attention to speed limits, weaving through traffic and why a 1000cc sport bike would be impracticable for her.



DIRTY DEEDS AND KICKSTAND AT THE LOVE SEAT DISPLAY







Flash claimed that the display would have a positive impact on motorcycling couples and I have to admit after sitting in the love seat for just a few seconds my wife and I understood each other better. Dirty Deeds will be getting a 2008 Honda CBR 1000 and I will be buying my badly needed 1997 Honda ST 1100.


No comments: