Sunday, October 4, 2009

BAD WEATHER BIKING

Yes, I enjoy riding in lousy weather. There are some advantages. You don't have to wave very often to other motorcyclists, drivers notice you "What's that nut doing on his bike" and people will stop you and give you coffee, food and money.
I realized that I don't have many pictures of riding in bad weather. This is mainly due to the fact that I am riding alone. I commute to work every day, so that is usually when I encounter the poor weather.
I've ridden in rain as pictured above. My aerostich Darren Suit keeps me dry. If you want to be a bad weather rider, you really need good ride wear or really be into suffering. I am a big fan of aerostich as it is a local company.........but they make great gear. http://www.aerostich.com/

The one type of weather that I have not mastered is snow and ice. In Duluth we get plenty of snow and it gets cold. I have ridden in the 20 degree fahrenheit range and that is nasty. Snow is some thing I have only played in on my duel sport. But I keep saying, I am going to commute in the winter. Maybe this will be the year.



I want to encourage you to try riding in the rain. If you have avoided rainy weather, you need to give it a try. My first few times, I was nervous cornering and stopping, but for the most part it only requires a little more caution. I have never had any scary wet weather incidents. I get a great deal of satisfaction from riding in lousy weather, as it is an adventure. Not an adventure in risk taking, but one of facing the elements, keeping warm and dry and realizing it can be done in a fun and safe manner. http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/weather/


No comments: